This is where boring ends.
The North Shore is the Midwest’s premier ice climbing destination. Combine frozen waterfalls with spectacular scenery and you have the ultimate winter adventure. Ice climbing with our professional guides instills the knowledge and confidence necessary to enjoy this exhilarating winter activity.
If you are a new climber who needs instruction or an experienced climber who wants to hone your skills, call us at 218-387-3136 to schedule a high voltage day of ice climbing.
Contrary to popular opinion, the North Shore does have a summer season. If you are looking for some warm weather options, check out our rock climbing tours.
Intro to Ice Climbing
Ice Climbing tours are $150/person for groups and $275 for private individual tours. Meet at Stone Harbor at 9:00 am to get geared up. Before we start climbing, we review fundamental ice climbing techniques, communication and safety procedures. After that, your guide transports you to one of the North Shore’s stunning ice climbing locations for a full day of thrills.
What We Provide
- Mountaineering (ice climbing) boots
- All climbing equipment
- Lunch & warm beverages
- Transportation from our store to the climbing site
Recommended Packing List
- Warm clothing that allows for plenty of movement (We recommend that you dress in layers to accommodate variable weather conditions and different levels of exertion throughout the day.)
- A top and bottom waterproof shell for your outer layer
- Wicking base layer
- Warm socks that go up to mid shin
- Warm, waterproof gloves that offer good dexterity
- Sunglasses & strap
- Head lamp or flashlight with fresh batteries
- Water bottle or hydration pack (we have filtered water here at the store, if you need to fill it)
- Cup for hot/cold beverages (unbreakable, travel-style mug)
- If needed: medications; eye glasses and/or contact lenses and spare
- Optional: camera in a waterproof, protective case
Are you missing something from the equipment list? All participants receive a 10% discount at Stone Harbor on the day before and the day of the trip. You can also check out our rental department if you prefer to rent winter outerwear.
All Stone Harbor tours and instruction require active, physical participation on the part of the guest. You must sign the Stone Harbor Guided Tours and Instructional Activities Waiver and Release of Liability form and the Stone Harbor Confidential Medical History form prior to participating in any Stone Harbor tour or instruction. Please call us at 218-387-3136 if you have any questions about the physical requirements or the risks associated with the activities.
Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply requires tours to be paid in full at the time of booking. If a cancellation notice is given greater than 48 hours before the scheduled tour, a full refund is granted, minus the $20 processing fee per person. No refund is given for cancellations within 48 hours of the tour.
If Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply cancels a tour ahead of time due to weather or other unforeseeable events, a full refund is given. Please note that light rain, snow, fog, or cooler temperatures do not cancel a tour. We are prepared with the correct equipment for different weather conditions.
We are committed to your safety. Our safety policy can be found here.