Prepare for the unexpected
The Wilderness First Aid Course prepares you for the unexpected emergencies that can occur when your adventures take you away from the security and timeliness of 911. This fun, hands-on introduction to wilderness medicine teaches you the Patient Assessment System, effective first aid treatments for injuries and illnesses common in the outdoors, and how to make appropriate evacuation decisions.
Wilderness First Aid Course
The Wilderness First Aid (WFA) Course is $275/person
The learning takes place in an outdoor setting regardless of weather, so come prepared for wet, muddy, cold or hot environments! There are a number of updates to our normal course operations, based on guidance from health authorities, such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and other government agencies. These enhanced health and safety measures are designed with your safety in mind.
WFA Classes for 2022 will be May 21st & 22nd. The class takes both days. This year the course will be held at the Grand Marais Recreation Area, 114 South 8th Avenue West, Grand Marais, MN 55604.
Things to bring
- Clothing for inside and outside that allows for plenty of movement (We recommend that you dress in layers to accommodate variable weather conditions and different levels of exertion throughout the day.)
- A top and bottom waterproof shell for your outer layer (in case it rains or snows because snow happens on the North Shore)
- Warm, waterproof gloves that offer good dexterity
- Sunglasses and strap
- Water bottle or hydration pack
- Snacks to fuel you through the day
- Packed lunch or money to purchase lunch off-site
- If needed: medications; eye glasses and/or contact lenses and spare
Are you missing something from the equipment list? All participants receive a 10% discount at Stone Harbor on the day before and the day of the course.
All Stone Harbor tours and instruction require active, physical participation on the part of the guest. You must sign the Stone Harbor Guided Tours and Instructional Activities Waiver and Release of Liability form and the Stone Harbor Confidential Medical History form prior to participating in any Stone Harbor tour or instruction. Please call us at 218-387-3136 if you have any questions about the physical requirements or the risks associated with the activities.
Cancellation policy: Cancellations prior to two weeks before the course are entitled to a refund of the registration fee minus a $20 processing fee. Cancellations within two weeks of the course will not receive a refund.
We are committed to your safety. Our safety policy can be found here.