So few people ever get a chance to see this
The North Shore has over 20 tumbling rivers that flow down from inland waters through deep canyons on their way to Lake Superior. Ever wonder what it would be like to travel these remote canyons? Now you can find out. Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply offers guided back country river skiing tours on the Devil Track, Cascade, Onion and Cross Rivers.
River skiing is an adventure that takes you from a river canyon to the river’s outlet on Lake Superior. You ski over varied terrain and conditions. Distances also depend on river conditions, but are usually between two to four miles round trip. Previous experience with skiing is preferred but not required.
Full Day Winter River Skiing
Full Day Winter River Ski Tours are $95/person. Meet your guide at Stone Harbor at 9:00 am to get sized for equipment. From there, your guide takes you to the river, where you can ski at your own pace and explore all the beauty the canyon has to offer. Your guide brings lunch and hot beverages and returns you to Stone Harbor by 4:00 pm.
What We Provide
- Backcountry skis and poles
- Lunch and warm beverage
- Transportation to and from the river
Recommended Packing List
- Warm clothing that allows for plenty of movement (We recommend that you dress in layers to accommodate variable weather conditions and different levels of exertion throughout the day.)
- A top and bottom waterproof shell for your outer layer
- Wicking base layer
- Warm winter socks that go up to mid shin
- Waterproof winter snow boots
- Warm, waterproof gloves that offer good dexterity
- Sunglasses & strap
- Water bottle or hydration pack (we have filtered water here at the store, if you need to fill it)
- If needed: medications; eye glasses and/or contact lenses and spare
- Optional: camera in a waterproof, protective case
Are you missing something from the equipment list? All participants receive a 10% discount at Stone Harbor on the day before and the day of the trip. You can also check out our rental department if you prefer to rent winter outerwear.
All Stone Harbor tours and instruction require active, physical participation on the part of the guest. You must sign the Stone Harbor Guided Tours and Instructional Activities Waiver and Release of Liability form and the Stone Harbor Confidential Medical History form prior to participating in any Stone Harbor tour or instruction. Please call us at 218-387-3136 if you have any questions about the physical requirements or the risks associated with the activities.
All tours and instruction are weather dependent. If a tour or class needs to be cancelled due to the weather, you will receive a full refund. If you must cancel a reservation, please give us 48 hours notice for a full refund.
We are committed to your safety. Our safety policy can be found here.