Join Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply for an exhilarating rock climbing tour. The elevation begins to rise just off Lake Superior’s shoreline, making for incredible top-rope rock climbing opportunities with breathtaking views of Gichigami. These climbing sites rival the best in the country for variety, rock quality and stunning views of Lake Superior.
Our primary climbing sites are Carlton Peak, a rock mountain with 360 degree views and Shovel Point, sea cliffs on the shore of Lake Superior. Both locations offer climbs for all climbing abilities along with great places to rest, eat your lunch and take in the North Shore scenery.
Your day begins with a safety discussion highlighting the hazards present at a given rock climbing area. Your instructor then shows you how to put on your climbing harness and helmet. We like to put you on the rock early in the program, using a climbing top-rope, so that you can immediately get a feel for some of the basic movement concepts involved in climbing rock. You learn to tie a figure eight knot, how to belay, and how to rappel.
The flow of the day combines actual climbing interspersed with a review of the different techniques and skills needed to manage risk and maximize your climbing ability. You get to experience various types of climbing, including crack climbing, face climbing, and slab (friction) climbing. During all of this, you are learning how to use climbing equipment and developing an understanding of climbing ratings. If you are a new climber who needs instruction or an experienced climber who just needs to be led to the routes, come climb with us!
All Stone Harbor tours and instruction require active, physical participation on the part of the guest. You must sign the Stone Harbor Guided Tours and Instructional Activities Waiver and Release of Liability form and the Stone Harbor Confidential Medical History form prior to participating in any Stone Harbor tour or instruction. Please call us at 218-387-3136 if you have any questions about the physical requirements or the risks associated with the activities.
All tours and instruction are weather dependent. If a tour or class needs to be cancelled due to the weather, you will receive a full refund. If you must cancel a reservation, please give us 48 hours notice for a full refund.
- Full-Day Climbing Trip. Choose from a variety of climbing spots, depending on your skill level – Palisade Head, Shovel Point, Mystic Mountain, and Carlton Peak. Meet at Stone Harbor at 9:00 AM to get geared up. Before we start climbing we’ll review all fundamental rock climbing techniques, climbing communication and safety procedures. ($220/solo; $150/2 or more guests)
Call us at 218-397-3136 to schedule a rock climbing trip on the day of your choosing.
Are you jonesing for a rock climb in the middle of winter? Discover the exhilaration of ice climbing on Minnesota’s North Shore.
Packing ListWhat We Provide:
- Climbing shoes
- All climbing equipment
- Transportation from our store to the climbing site
- Dry bag for your warm change of clothing
- Breathable rain gear top & bottom
- Wicking (synthetic, wool or silk) long sleeve and/or short sleeve shirt (Remember: long sleeves can help protect from sun and bugs)*
- Long pants*
- Thin socks
- Warm change of clothing (Think: “If I got soaked and wanted something to put on right away, what would I bring?” The minimum to bring is an insulation/fleece jacket.)
- Sunglasses & strap
- Insect repellent and/or head net
- Cup for hot/cold beverages (unbreakable, travel-style mug)
- If needed: medications; eye glasses and/or contact lenses and spare
- Optional: camera in a waterproof, protective case
* We recommend comfortable, loose-fitting clothing for rock climbing. Please be aware that rock surfaces can tear even the most durable of clothes.
Are you missing something from the equipment list? All participants receive a 10% discount at Stone Harbor on the day before and the day of the trip.