Imagine paddling on Lake Superior under cliffs, along pebble beaches, and through picturesque harbors as eagles and countless other birds soar overhead. Welcome to Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply’s kayaking tours!
No previous kayaking experience is required. Your tour begins as you get fitted into your equipment. Next, you have a lesson on the beach that teaches you how to adjust, paddle and get in and out of your kayak. All participants are trained in basic kayak safety. Then your guide takes you out on the water, where you will experience the thrill and beauty of paddling Minnesota’s North Shore.
Make sure you call us at 218-387-3136 to reserve your spot in advance because we fill all of our available tour spaces on busy days. Don’t see the tour you’re looking for? Our ACA certified guides are also available for customized tours or individual skills training. Or check out our kayak rentals and plan your own sea kayaking adventure.
All Stone Harbor tours and instruction require active, physical participation on the part of the guest. You must sign the Stone Harbor Guided Tours and Instructional Activities Waiver and Release of Liability form and the Stone Harbor Confidential Medical History form prior to participating in any Stone Harbor tour or instruction. Please call us at 218-387-3136 if you have any questions about the physical requirements or the risks associated with the activities.
All tours and instruction are weather dependent. If a tour or class needs to be cancelled due to the weather, you will receive a full refund. If you must cancel a reservation, please give us 48 hours notice for a full refund.
Half Day Tours
Half day kayaking tours are $65/person. Daytime tours on Monday through Saturday are 10:00 am – 1:00 pm or 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm; on Sunday the tours are 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Or try a full moon tour and paddle in view of the full moon from 7:00 – 10:00 pm.
- The Grand Marais Harbor. Cruise around the Grand Marais Harbor in a kayak and look through the crystal clear waters of Lake Superior. See the panoramic view of the Sawtooth Mountains from the water. Paddle by Artist Point, the light house and the boats of the harbor. Meet at Stone Harbor to launch from the East Bay Beach. Explore for three hours the Harbor area out toward the Fall River or perhaps towards 5-mile rock.
- Cut Face Creek to Grand Marais Harbor. Enjoy the beauty that the Lake Superior shore line has to offer. Paddle below an arch-way, get sprayed by a water fall splashing into the cold waters of Lake Superior, and feel the breeze off of the cold fresh water of the largest fresh water lake in the world (by surface area).
- Full Moon Tours. We love the full moon tours so much we added extra nights. If you want to get technical about it, some of the tours are not on the exact night of the full moon, but Gichigami is so beautiful by moonlight that we couldn’t pass up the opportunity to show her off.
- May 14th, 15th & 16th, 2014 – Full Flower Moon
- June 12th, 13th & 14th, 2014 – Full Strawberry Moon
- July 11th, 12th & 13th, 2014 – Full Buck Moon
- August 10th, 11th & 12th, 2014 – Full Sturgeon Moon
- September 8th, 9th 7 10th, 2014 – Full Harvest Moon
Full Day Tours
Full day kayaking tours are $150/guest for two or more guests; $200/solo guest. You meet at Stone Harbor at 9:30am on the day of the tour and return to Stone Harbor at 4:30pm. Please see the list below for items you should bring with you.
- Shovel Point and Palisade Head. Come and Paddle the waters of Lake Superior! Explore the shore beneath towering rock faces of Shovel Point and Palisade Head. Learn about the incredible volcanic forces that formed these ancient lava flows. (This is weather dependent. If the waves are too large on Lake Superior, we will head up and explore the Pigeon River.)
- Kayak and kayak accessories
- Transportation from our store to the kayaking site
- Dry bag for your warm change of clothing
- Snack (half day tours) or Lunch (full day tours)
- 0.75 liter keepsake non-BPA water bottle
- Paddling footwear (lightweight, quick-drying water shoes; sandals are ok but no flip-flops, please)
- Hat with wide bring (for sun & rain protection)
- Wicking t-shirt (synthetic, wool or silk)
- Warm change of clothing (Think: “If I got soaked and wanted something to put on right away, what would I bring?” The minimum to bring is an insulation/fleece jacket.)
- Swim suit or base layer for under wetsuit
- Sunglasses & strap
- If needed: medications; eye glasses and/or contact lenses and spare
- Optional: camera in a waterproof, protective case
- Full moon tours only: headlamp or flashlight with fresh batteries
Are you missing something from the equipment list? All participants receive a 10% discount at Stone Harbor on the day before and the day of the trip.