Imagine paddling Lake Superior under cliffs, along pebble beaches, and through picturesque harbors as eagles and countless other birds soar overhead. That is what happens every day on Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply’s kayaking tours.
No previous kayaking experience is required! Your tour begins as you get fitted into your equipment. Next, you have a lesson on the beach that teaches you how to adjust, paddle and get in and out of your kayak. All participants are trained in basic kayak safety. Then your guide takes you out on the water where you will have the experience of a lifetime.
Make sure you call us at 218-387-3136 to reserve your spot in advance because we fill all of our available tour spaces on busy days. Don’t see the tour you’re looking for? Our ACA certified guides are also available for customized tours or individual skills training.
All Stone Harbor tours and instruction require active, physical participation on the part of the guest. You must sign the Stone Harbor Guided Tours and Instructional Activities Waiver and Release of Liability form and the Stone Harbor Confidential Medical History form prior to participating in any Stone Harbor tour or instruction. Please call us at 218-387-3136 if you have any questions about the physical requirements or the risks associated with the activities.
All tours and instruction are weather dependent. If a tour or class needs to be cancelled due to the weather, you will receive a full refund. If you must cancel a reservation, please give us 48 hours notice for a full refund.
Half Day Tours
Half day kayaking tours are $65/person. Daytime tours on Monday through Saturday are 10:00 am – 1:00 pm or 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm; on Sunday the tours are 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Or try a full moon tour and paddle in view of the full moon from 7:00 – 10:00 pm.
- The Grand Marais Harbor. Cruise around the Grand Marais Harbor in a kayak and look through the crystal clear waters of Lake Superior. See the panoramic view of the Sawtooth Mountains from the water. Paddle by Artist Point, the light house and the boats of the harbor. Meet at Stone Harbor to launch from the East Bay Beach. Explore for three hours the Harbor area out toward the Fall River or perhaps towards 5-mile rock.
- Cut Face Creek to Grand Marais Harbor. Enjoy the beauty that the Lake Superior shore line has to offer. Paddle below an arch-way, get sprayed by a water fall splashing into the cold waters of Lake Superior, and feel the breeze off of the cold fresh water of the largest fresh water lake in the world (by surface area).
- Full Moon Tours.
- Saturday, May 25, 2013 – Full Flower Moon
- Sunday, June 23, 2013 – Full Strawberry Moon
- Monday, July 22, 2013 – Full Thunder Moon
- Tuesday, August 20, 2013 – Full Sturgeon Moon
Full Day Tours
Full day kayaking tours are $150/2 or more guests; $200/solo guest. You meet at Stone Harbor at 9:30am on the day of the tour and return to Stone Harbor at 4:30pm. Please see the list below for items you should bring with you.
- Shovel Point and Palisade Head. Come and Paddle the waters of Lake Superior! Explore the shore beneath towering rock faces of Shovel Point and Palisade Head. Learn about the incredible volcanic forces that formed these ancient lava flows. (This is weather dependent. If the waves are too large on Lake Superior, we will head up and explore the Pigeon River.)
- Enchanting Islands of the Pigeon River. Paddle the ancient waters touched by the Native Americans and Voyageurs trading and trapping the furs. The Pigeon River offers a placid experience with islands dotting your vista creating a sense of wonder of what life was like in the 1800s.
- Kayak and kayak accessories
- Transportation from our store to the kayaking site
- Dry bag for your warm change of clothing
- Snack (half day tours) or Lunch (full day tours)
- 0.75 liter keepsake non-BPA water bottle
- Paddling footwear (lightweight, quick-drying water shoes; sandals are ok but no flip-flops, please)
- Hat with wide bring (for sun & rain protection)
- Wicking t-shirt (synthetic, wool or silk)
- Warm change of clothing (Think: “If I got soaked and wanted something to put on right away, what would I bring?” The minimum to bring is an insulation/fleece jacket.)
- Swim suit or base layer for under wetsuit
- Sunglasses & strap
- Eye glasses and/or contact lenses and spare, if needed
- Medications, if needed
- Whistle (plastic is preferable)
- Optional: camera in a waterproof, protective case
Are you missing something from the equipment list? All participants receive a 10% discount at Stone Harbor on the day before and the day of the trip.