Imagine paddling on Lake Superior under cliffs, along pebble beaches, and through picturesque harbors as eagles and countless other birds soar overhead. This is kayaking in Grand Marais.
No previous kayaking experience is required. Your tour begins as you get fitted into your equipment. Next, you have a lesson on the beach that teaches you how to adjust, paddle and get in and out of your kayak. All participants are trained in basic kayak safety. Then your guide takes you out on the water, where you experience the thrill and beauty of paddling Minnesota’s North Shore.
Make sure you call us at 218-387-3136 to reserve your spot in advance because we fill all of our available tour spaces on busy days. Don’t see the tour you’re looking for? Our ACA certified guides are also available for customized tours or individual skills training. Or check out our kayak rentals and plan your own Grand Marais kayaking adventure.
All Stone Harbor tours and instruction require active, physical participation on the part of the guest. You must sign the Stone Harbor Guided Tours and Instructional Activities Waiver and Release of Liability form and the Stone Harbor Confidential Medical History form prior to participating in any Stone Harbor tour or instruction. Please call us at 218-387-3136 if you have any questions about the physical requirements or the risks associated with the activities. Also note that your safety is our highest priority. Sometimes weather conditions and temperatures require that we change the locations of our tours.
All tours and instruction are weather dependent. If a tour or class needs to be cancelled due to the weather, you will receive a full refund. If you must cancel a reservation, please give us 48 hours notice for a full refund.
Half Day Kayaking Tours
Half Day Kayaking Tours are $55/person. You will meet at Stone Harbor to launch from the East Bay Beach and explore Gichigami, the largest fresh water lake in the world (by surface area). You might cruise around the Grand Marais Harbor and see the panoramic view of the Sawtooth Mountains. Or you might paddle by Artist Point, Fall River or Five Mile Rock. Maybe you will paddle below an arch-way and get sprayed by a water fall splashing into the cold waters of Lake Superior. Your guide will design a trip that suits your skill level and the current weather conditions.
Morning tours are 10:00 am – 1:00 pm; afternoon tours are 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm. Please see the packing list below for items to bring with you.
Full Moon Kayaking Tours
Full Moon Kayaking Tours are $65/person. Watch the sunset out on the East Bay, then turn around and watch the full moon rise. The trips are timed for best viewing of the sun set, the full moon and all of Gichigami’s serene beauty. Please see the packing list below for items to bring with you.
- June 30th, July 1st & 2nd, 2015 – Full Buck Moon 6:00 – 9:00 pm
- July 30th, 31st & August 1st, 2015 – Full Blue Moon 7:00 – 10:00 pm
- August 28th, 29th & 30th, 2015 – Full Sturgeon Moon 6:30 – 9:30 pm
- September 26th, 27th & 28th, 2015 – Full Harvest Moon 6:00 – 9:00 pm
Full Day Kayaking Tours
Full day kayaking tours are $150/person. You will be spending the whole day on the lake known as Gichigami. You might explore the shore beneath towering rock faces of Shovel Point and Palisade Head. Or head up and you will see the stunning Pigeon River from a whole new perspective on the Big Lake. Your guide will design a trip that suits your skill level and the current weather conditions.
You meet at Stone Harbor at 9:30am on the day of the tour and return by 4:30pm. Please see the packing list below for items to bring with you.
Packing ListWhat We Provide:
- Kayak and kayak accessories
- Transportation from our store to the kayaking site
- Dry bag for your warm change of clothing
- Snack (half day tours) or Lunch (full day tours)
- Paddling footwear (lightweight, quick-drying water shoes; sandals are ok but no flip-flops, please)
- Hat with wide brim (for sun & rain protection)
- Wicking t-shirt (synthetic, wool or silk)
- Warm change of clothing (Think: “If I got soaked and wanted something to put on right away, what would I bring?” The minimum to bring is an insulation/fleece jacket.)
- Clothing to wear under your wetsuit (typically a swimsuit, compression shorts, or other quick-dry, close-fitting clothing that won’t bunch up; remember it will get wet)
- Sunglasses & strap
- Water bottle or hydration pack (we have filtered water here at the store, if you need to fill it)
- If needed: medications; eye glasses and/or contact lenses and spare
- Optional: camera in a waterproof, protective case
- Full moon tours only: headlamp or flashlight with fresh batteries
Are you missing something from the equipment list? All participants receive a 10% discount at Stone Harbor on the day before and the day of the trip.