Fly Fishing opportunities abound near Grand Marais.
The tributaries that flow into Lake Superior and our inland lakes are some of Minnesota’s most wild and scenic settings. Our guides are experienced and accomplished in a few sport-fishing methods, including fly-fishing and spin-fishing or baitcasting. Stone Harbor also specializes in the Japanese-style fly-fishing known as Tenkara. We’ve taught clients new methods and have had them fishing in a matter of hours.
No previous experience is required. Each tour begins with outfitting and then basic instruction occurs at the lake/tributary. We cover kick boat operation, stream wading technique, and basic fly casting. Call us at 218-387-3136 so we can create a trip just for you.
Intro to Fly Fishing Casting
Our Intro to Fly Fishing Casting is $55/person for two hours. This is your opportunity to learn the basics of fly casting from a fishing pro. Your guide takes you to an open practice area where you can learn casting without the distraction of trees, bushes or even water. Once you have mastered the basics of fly casting, you are ready to hit the streams or lakes of Cook County. The class is from 10:00 a.m. to noon.
Half Day Fishing Tour
Half Day Fishing Tours are $100/person. In the spring and fall, we fish Lake Superior tributaries for steelhead or salmon. In the summer there are many options: try river and creek fishing for beautiful brook trout; or lake fishing for trout or smallmouth or northern pike.
Solo pontoon-style float tubes get us around on the lakes, although for single clients, we take out the canoe to cover more water. For stream fishing, we use chest waders and hip boots. We pursue rainbow trout, native brook trout, brown trout, smallmouth bass, walleye, northern pike, and whitefish.
St. Croix Angler’s Package
It’s a fantastic deal for anglers who want to walk away with some new equipment after their guided trip! Take a Stone Harbor fly-fishing trip and purchase a complete St. Croix Rio Santo Fly Fishing package for $125 (retail: $210). This package comes ready-to-fish with 20 lb fly line backing, St. Croix weight forward floating fly line and tapered leader pre-installed. The kit includes St. Croix Rio Santo fly rod and St. Croix die-cast aluminum fly reel with adjustable drag.
Packing ListRecommended Packing List
- Hat with wide brim (for sun & rain protection)
- Breathable rain gear top & bottom (no ponchos please, as it is difficult to swim in them in case of an upset)
- Wool socks to be worn under the waders
- Wicking (synthetic, wool or silk) long sleeve and/or short sleeve shirt (Remember: long sleeves can help protect from sun and bugs)
- Long pants
- Warm change of clothing (Think: “If I got soaked and wanted something to put on right away, what would I bring?” The minimum to bring is an insulation/fleece jacket.)
- Swim suit and towel
- Sunglasses & strap
- Insect repellent and/or head net
- Water bottle or hydration pack (we have filtered water here at the store, if you need to fill it)
- Minnesota fishing license with trout stamp (we do not sell fishing licenses)
- Nail/fishing line clipper
- If needed: medications; eye glasses and/or contact lenses and spare
- Optional: camera in a waterproof, protective case
- Pontoon kick boat (on inland lakes)
- Chest waders or hip boots and fins
- Footwear for stream fishing
- Fly rod, reel and flies
- Dry bag for your warm change of clothing
- Snack (half day trips) or lunch (full day trips)
- Transportation from our store to the fishing spot
Are you missing something from the equipment list? All participants receive a 10% discount at Stone Harbor on the day before and the day of the trip.
All Stone Harbor tours and instruction require active, physical participation on the part of the guest. You must sign the Stone Harbor Guided Tours and Instructional Activities Waiver and Release of Liability form and the Stone Harbor Confidential Medical History form prior to participating in any Stone Harbor tour or instruction. Please call us at 218-387-3136 if you have any questions about the physical requirements or the risks associated with the activities.
Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply requires tours to be paid in full at the time of booking. If a cancellation notice is given greater than 48 hours before the scheduled tour, a full refund is granted, minus the $20 processing fee per person. No refund is given for cancellations within 48 hours of the tour.
If Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply cancels a tour ahead of time due to weather or other unforeseeable events, a full refund is given. Please note that light rain, snow, fog, or cooler temperatures do not cancel a tour. We are prepared with the correct equipment for different weather conditions.
We are committed to your safety. Our safety policy can be found here.
That picture at the top of the page really captures the joy of fishing, doesn’t it? Credit goes to the amazing team at Canoe There.