Fly Fishing opportunities abound near Grand Marais.
The tributaries that flow into Lake Superior and our inland lakes are some of Minnesota’s most wild and scenic settings. Our fly fishing guided trips typically occur at Trout, Kimball, Thomson or Birch lakes and Kadunce, Cascade or Devil Track rivers (tributaries). We pursue rainbow trout, native brook trout, brown trout, smallmouth bass, walleye, northern pike and whitefish.
No previous experience is required. Each tour begins with outfitting and then basic instruction occurs at the lake/tributary. We cover kick boat operation, stream wading technique and basic fly casting. Call us at 218-387-3136 so we can create a trip just for you.
Intro to Fly Fishing Casting
Our Intro to Fly Fishing Casting is $55/person for two hours. This is your opportunity to learn the basics of fly casting from a fishing pro. Your guide takes you to an open practice area where you can learn casting without the distraction of trees, bushes or even water. Once you have mastered the basics of fly casting, you are ready for a still water float trip or a tributary trout fishing trip. The class is from 10:00 am – noon.
Half Day Fly Fishing Fall Migratory Fish Trips
Full Day Fly Fishing Fall Migratory Fish Trips
Full Day Still Water Float Trips
Still Water Float Trips are $170/person for a full day. Join our guide on an inland lake as you fish for brook, brown and rainbow trout, as well as bass and pike. The float trips are from 8:30 am – 3:30 pm.
Half Day Tributary Fly Fishing Trips
Half Day Tributary Fly Fishing Trips are $100/person. Join our guide at a local Lake Superior tributary, where you fish for trout, small mouth bass and northern pike. Half day trips are from either 9:30 am – 12:30 pm or 2:00 – 5:00 pm.
Full Day Tributary Fly Fishing Trips
Full Day Tributary Fly Fishing Trips are $170/person. When it comes to fishing, a half day might not be enough. We understand! Our guide takes you to a local Lake Superior tributary, where you spend the day fishing the stream for Minnesota’s treasure of trout, small mouth bass and northern pike. Full day trips are from 9:30 am – 4:30 pm.
St. Croix Angler’s Package
It’s a fantastic deal for anglers who want to walk away with some new equipment after their guided trip! Take a Stone Harbor fly-fishing trip and purchase a complete St. Croix Rio Santo Fly Fishing package for $125 (retail: $210). This package comes ready-to-fish with 20 lb fly line backing, St. Croix weight forward floating fly line and tapered leader pre-installed. The kit includes St. Croix Rio Santo fly rod and St. Croix die-cast aluminum fly reel with adjustable drag.
Packing ListWhat We Provide
- Pontoon kick boat (on inland lakes)
- Footwear for stream fishing
- Fly rod, reel and flies
- Transportation from our store to the fishing spot
- Dry bag for your warm change of clothing
- Snack (half day trips) or lunch (full day trips)
- Hat with wide brim (for sun & rain protection)
- Breathable rain gear top & bottom (no ponchos please, as it is difficult to swim in them in case of an upset)
- Wool socks to be worn under the waders
- Wicking (synthetic, wool or silk) long sleeve and/or short sleeve shirt (Remember: long sleeves can help protect from sun and bugs)
- Long pants
- Warm change of clothing (Think: “If I got soaked and wanted something to put on right away, what would I bring?” The minimum to bring is an insulation/fleece jacket.)
- Swim suit and towel
- Sunglasses & strap
- Insect repellent and/or head net
- Water bottle or hydration pack (we have filtered water here at the store, if you need to fill it)
- Cup for hot/cold beverages (unbreakable, travel-style mug)
- Minnesota fishing license with trout stamp (we do not sell fishing licenses)
- Nail/fishing line clipper
- If needed: medications; eye glasses and/or contact lenses and spare
- Optional: camera in a waterproof, protective case
Are you missing something from the equipment list? All participants receive a 10% discount at Stone Harbor on the day before and the day of the trip.
All Stone Harbor tours and instruction require active, physical participation on the part of the guest. You must sign the Stone Harbor Guided Tours and Instructional Activities Waiver and Release of Liability form and the Stone Harbor Confidential Medical History form prior to participating in any Stone Harbor tour or instruction. Please call us at 218-387-3136 if you have any questions about the physical requirements or the risks associated with the activities.
All tours and instruction are weather dependent. If a tour or class needs to be cancelled due to the weather, you will receive a full refund. If you must cancel a reservation, please give us 48 hours notice for a full refund.
We are committed to your safety. Our safety policy can be found here.
One look at that top fly fishing picture and you want to be there right now, huh? Well, that’s because it’s fishing. And because it’s a great picture. Jacob McCormick, one of Cook County’s gifted photographers, is behind the lens on that one. You can see more of his marvelous photography at jacobmccormick.smugmug.com