Fly fishing opportunities abound near Grand Marais.
The tributaries that flow into Lake Superior and our inland lakes are some of Minnesota’s most wild and scenic settings.Our fly fishing guided trips typically occur at Trout, Kimball, Thomson or Birch lakes and Kadunce, Cascade or Devil Track rivers (tributaries). We pursue rainbow trout, native brook trout, brown trout, smallmouth bass, walleye, northern pike and whitefish.
No previous experience is required. Each tour begins with outfitting and then basic instruction occurs at the lake/tributary. We cover kick boat operation, stream wading technique and basic fly casting. Call us at 218-387-3136 so that we can create a trip just for you.
All Stone Harbor tours and instruction require active, physical participation on the part of the guest. You must sign the Stone Harbor Guided Tours and Instructional Activities Waiver and Release of Liability form and the Stone Harbor Confidential Medical History form prior to participating in any Stone Harbor tour or instruction. Please call us at 218-387-3136 if you have any questions about the physical requirements or the risks associated with the activities.
All tours and instruction are weather dependent. If a tour or class needs to be cancelled due to the weather, you will receive a full refund. If you must cancel a reservation, please give us 48 hours notice for a full refund.
- **LIMITED TIME** Steelhead on the Fly. Each spring on the North Shore, steelhead trout run up the rivers to spawn. A few weeks later, they return to Lake Superior, where they remain until the following year. Our guides can take you on an exhilarating full-day tour to find these “silver bullets” – every tour varies based on where we find the fish. ($250/one person or $350/two people. Two person max per tour.)
- Introduction to Fly Casting. Learn the basics of fly casting technique. ($55/person for two hours)
- Still Water Float Trips. Join our guide on an inland lake as you fish for brook, brown and rainbow trout, as well as bass and pike. ($150/person full day)
- Tributary Trout Fishing. Join our guide at a local Lake Superior tributary, where you will spend the day fishing the stream for trout. ($110/person half day; $150/person full day)
Call us at 218-387-3136 to schedule a day of your choosing.
Packing ListWhat We Provide:
- Pontoon kick boat (on inland lakes)
- Footwear for stream fishing
- Fly rod, reel and flies
- Transportation from our store to the fishing spot
- Dry bag for your warm change of clothing
- Snack (half day trips) or lunch (full day trips)
- Hat with wide brim (for sun & rain protection)
- Breathable rain gear top & bottom (no ponchos please, as it is difficult to swim in them in case of an upset)
- Wool socks to be worn under the waders
- Wicking (synthetic, wool or silk) long sleeve and/or short sleeve shirt (Remember: long sleeves can help protect from sun and bugs)
- Long pants
- Warm change of clothing (Think: “If I got soaked and wanted something to put on right away, what would I bring?” The minimum to bring is an insulation/fleece jacket.)
- Swim suit and towel
- Sunglasses & strap
- Insect repellent and/or head net
- Water bottle or hydration pack (we have filtered water here at the store, if you need to fill it)
- Cup for hot/cold beverages (unbreakable, travel-style mug)
- Minnesota fishing license with trout stamp (we do not sell fishing licenses)
- Nail/fishing line clipper
- If needed: medications; eye glasses and/or contact lenses and spare
- Optional: camera in a waterproof, protective case
Are you missing something from the equipment list? All participants receive a 10% discount at Stone Harbor on the day before and the day of the trip.
One look at that fly fishing picture and you want to be there right now, huh? Well, that’s because it’s fishing. And because it’s a great picture. Jacob McCormick, one of Cook County’s gifted photographers, is behind the lens on that one. You can see more of his marvelous photography at jacobmccormick.smugmug.com