You can do this!
Grand Marais has a vast amount and variety of cross-country ski trails from flat easy trails, to long hilly ones sure to satisfy a range of experience levels. Upon booking your tour, you can chat with your guide to see what trail is best suited for you. Some options include:
GEORGE WASHINGTON PINES SKI LOOP: This is a 2.5-mile loop that is primarily flat with one small hill near the end. It is perfect for beginners who need a lot of instruction, or those who have not skied in a long time. This trail is free to the public and popular on weekends because of that. This option lasts 1.5 to 2 hours.
PINCUSHION MOUNTAIN SKI TRAIL SYSTEM: This trail system is ideal for those who have skied before and are up for a little more of a challenge. Trails have more hills and range from 1 to 7 miles long. This option does require a Minnesota State Ski Pass. This option lasts 2 to 3 hours.
BEARSKIN SKI TRAIL SYSTEM: This trail system is up the Gunflint Trail and is great for those who want to venture outside of town and see what the BWCAW has to offer. Ski around beautiful lakes, to scenic overlooks, and maybe see some wildlife! Bearskin has over 70 miles of groomed ski trails. This trail system requires a Central Gunflint Ski Trail pass, available at Bearskin Lodge. This option lasts 3 to 4.5 hours, mostly due to transport time.
Half Day Cross-Country Skiing
Cross Country Ski Tours are $65/person for adults and $55/person for children 12 and under. Meet at Stone Harbor 15 to 30 mins prior to your tour, to be fitted for ski and to fill out waivers. We transport all tours to the ski trails.
What We Provide
- Cross country skis, poles, and boots
- A snack
- Transportation to and from the trail
Recommended Packing List
- Warm clothing that allows for plenty of movement (We recommend that you dress in layers to accommodate variable weather conditions and different levels of exertion throughout the day.)
- A top and bottom waterproof shell for your outer layer
- Wicking base layer
- Warm winter socks that go up to mid shin
- Warm, waterproof gloves that offer good dexterity
- A warm hat
- A scarf that can cover your mouth and nose
- Sunglasses & strap
- Water bottle or hydration pack (we have filtered water here at the store, if you need to fill it)
- If needed: medications; eye glasses and/or contact lenses and spare
- Optional: camera in a waterproof, protective case
Are you missing something from the equipment list? All participants receive a 10% discount at Stone Harbor on the day before and the day of the trip.
All Stone Harbor tours and instruction require active, physical participation on the part of the guest. You must sign the Stone Harbor Guided Tours and Instructional Activities Waiver and Release of Liability form and the Stone Harbor Confidential Medical History form prior to participating in any Stone Harbor tour or instruction. Please call us at 218-387-3136 if you have any questions about the physical requirements or the risks associated with the activities.
All tours and instruction are weather dependent. If a tour or class needs to be canceled due to the weather, you will receive a full refund. If you must cancel a reservation, please give us 48 hours notice for a full refund.
We are committed to your safety. Our safety policy can be found here.